> at 6pm from
On July 27, 2023 a Community Neighborhood Council Meeting was held at the Pacific Corinthian Yacht
Club. There were 60 to 80 people plus the Board in attendance, either in person or via Zoom.
Slide Presentations from the Speakers can be seen below these notes
Dave Copper opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Michael Tripp, C.I. Harbor Director
- Update on the condition of the harbor, including the completed 2022-2023 Dredging Project. (March 2023)
- Peninsula Revetment completed, (June 2023)
- Casa Sirena Hotel Replacement on schedule, and construction of the Hyatt House Hotel is expected to begin (August 2023)
- Kiddie Beach Parking Lot and bathroom are being repaired. The Surge Wall (see below) is being looked at for repairs. The Surge wall provides protection to the harbor from incoming swells.
- Parking Lots on the West side of the Harbor (Harbor Blvd) are being repaired.
- Peninsula Yacht Anchorage Project is underway, and docks are being repaired and replaced.
- The harbor has entered into an Exclusive Right to Negotiate with Karls’ after a unanimous vote from the Ventura County Board of Supervisors (April 2023) for consideration of developing the 10 acre parcel of land known as Fisherman’s Village at Victoria Avenue and Channel Islands Blvd..
- a New playground is being considered for the West Side of the harbor. This concept includes a Pirate Boat and a giant octopus.
Dave Nafie, Deputy Director of Airports (Camarillo and Oxnard)
- The airports are conducting studies on Airport noise by monitoring the sound levels at various locations near the arport (Oxnard)
- Fielded questions and comments from the room. Some members in the room commented that the airport noise has dramtically been reduced.
- Flight patterns have been for the most part being obeyed by pilots. (see below) Air traffic for the Oxnard Airport has been shited to a flight pattern North of the airport.
- Spoke about the airport construction progress, stating the taxiways are set to be improved. The Connector Taxiways A, B, C, D, and E Reconstruction Project is ongoing with an anticipated completion date of August 9, 2023
- Explained about the PFA’s (Polyfluoralkyl.[forever chemicals]) located on airport property, (North of Ventura Road). A pile of soil with remnants of firefighting foam (containing low-level PFA chemicals) is being stored until further advisory and notice from the government (state) or appointed agencies. The level of PFA’s are very low and contain very common chemicals. Th ere should be no cause for concern.
- Wings over Camarillo (Airshow) is August 19-20 2023. Tickets can be purchased online http://tickets.wingsovercamarillo.com/
Cpl. Justin Songer, Oxnard Police Department
- Cpl. Songer is responsible for the Oxnard Police Departments West District (District 2)
- Cpl. Songer fielded comments and questions from the room.
- Stated their will be an increase in weekend patrol in the Seabridge and surrounding area(s)through the end of the summer,
- Requested the community continue to be diligent and report suspicious activity.
- Oxnard Police Department non-emergency number is 805-385-7722
Chuck Carter, Marine Advisory Committee Chairperson
- Water quality is being monitored and data is being collected by volunteers
- There is an ongoing conversation about the possibility of turning on a (small) waterpump at the Edison canal to address the lack of water flow in the North end of the Harbor.
Rene Aui, behalf of The Reel Guppies
- Fundraiser for The Reel Guppies, a non-profit organization in the Channel Islands Harbor.
- The Reel Guppies provides fishing activities for children.
- A $40.00 suggested donation was requested from members of the community.
- The $40 donation would provide 1 student the opportunity to participate in the educational experience and provide fishing gear,
- To donate: https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/1407628
- To learn more about n more about The Reel Guppies visit https://www.reelguppyoutdoors.com/
Additional Moments in the meeting
- Chuck Carter was recognized for his extensive work with the Marine Advisory Commie and given a plaque to recognize his contributions
- Tammy Coburn, representing The Channel Islands Rowing Club was prepared to give a presentation, unfortunately, time was running short and we were unable to accommodate time for her to give her presentation. The Channel Islands Rowing Club will be invited back to another Community Council Meeting in the future. For more information about the CI Rowing Club, visit https://www.cirowing.org/
Join us in the next Channel Islands Neighborhood Council Meeting on Thursday October 26, 2023 at 6pm at the Pacific Corinthian Yacht Club or via Zoom. >click here< to Join the mailing list for updates.